The Ray Hayes memorial fishing weekend
19 and 20 September 2014
- Gather and Briefing - Thu 18 Sep at 7.00 pm
- Fishing Days – Fri 19 and Sat 20 Sep
- Location – Hinchinbrook Island and surrounds
- Base – Operate from Cardwell
- Competition – compete in Teams of 2 or 3 per boat and land based Teams
- Scoring – Similar to the Challenge
- Competitors – Financial Members only
- The weekend would provide an opportunity for Club Members to gather for two days fishing and include a Club Competition. Competitors would form Teams of 2 or 3 and can be boat or land based.
- Given that the numbers of those attending is unlikely to exceed 15, the Cardwell Sportsfishing Club has kindly donated their facilities for the weekend.
- In discussion with Harvey I have approached the Cardwell Sports Fishing Club to see if we can access their facility for the evenings. Jeff Snell and I have discussed the concept for the event. I proposed that we make use of their Club facility for the three evenings; including the use of their BBQ and that they would open the Bar.
- Small prizes and bragging rights for estuary, flats and pelagic categories, as well as champion angler.
- Entry Fee. $30. (to include venue hire and catering costs.)
- Door Prize. Each competitor is asked to provide a fly fishing related tool or gear to the max value of $20 to be a raffle prize. This could be some flies, a tool, or an accessory related to fly fishing.
Firstly, a huge thank you to the Cardwell Sportsfishing Club for allowing us free range of their wonderful facility over the weekend. And second, it was a fantastic effort once again by Richard S to organise the event, and valuable assistance from Brad as the event 'scorer'. Everyone managed to chip in, and despite the lack of fish, I think a great weekend was had by all.
The calm weather certainly put the fish off (well that's my excuse anyway), with only 3 boats out of 5 managing to land legal fish on the Friday, and 4 doing so on Saturday. Fish of the weekend definitely went to Troy with with his beautiful golden from one of the southern flats.
The weekend as run in a 'competition' format... So I guess if it's remiss of me if I don't give a shout out to Champion team, Bloodnut and the Beast (Kris and Troy), and to Brad for his efforts in achieving the title of Champion Angler.
And also, a big shout out to Bloodnut (Kris) and the Beast (Troy) for providing a very well thought out and received 'club spirit' award to Richard for his steadfast committment to club events. I hear someone is now on the look out for a 10 or 11 weight to match with his shiny new Harfin reel!
Of course, one of the big intents for the weekend, was to provide a means for the club to remember Ray Hayes in our own way. The world became a somewhat quieter, sadder, and hungrier place on his passing. But thankfully someone managed to pass on his sausage roll recipe, and they were scoffed quickly on Saturday evening.
We'll always remember you Ray. Your laugh was infectious, and your food delicious!