The Surf Candy
May Club Tying Night led by Lawrie Smith
Hook: short shank # 2 to 3/0, Mustad C68S SS Tarpon or Gamakatsu SL 12S
Thread: Fine Mono
Body: Mylar / Diamond Braid
Wing: Ultra Hair / Streamer Hair / Kinky Fibre
Flash: Crystal Flash
Finish: 5 minute epoxy
1. Tie in silver or pearl mylar at the bend of the hook and wrap forward to the eye of the hook.
2. Tie in a small bunch of white wing material just behind the eye of the hook.
3. Add 6 to 8 strands of pearl or silver crystal flash to each side.
4. Tie in a topping of pale green or blue wing material.
You will need to do two coats of epoxy
5. Mix some 5 minute epoxy and give a light coating to the wing and body from eye to bend. Rotate fly so epoxy doesn't sag.
6. As the epoxy begins to set, pull the wing to form the slender shape of a baitfish.
7. Whent he first coat of epoxy is dry, stick on the eyes, then using a waterproof marker make a small red gill on each side.
8. Then finish with another thin coat of epoxy.
When is epoxy is dry, trim the wing to a taper if required.